Friday, November 18, 2011

Meet the stallholders...Christmas Shopping with Funky Wombat Designs


It's getting closer..in fact..it's tomorrow! There are still stallholders to read about though, starting with Maia Rees from Funky Wombat Designs who will be there all weekend.
She sells handmade bags, banners and accessories in a variety of fabrics both vintage and new.



Tell us about what you sell and why/where do you get your inspiration?

I sell bags, banners, leather jewellery and accessories. The bags are made in a variety of vintage and new fabrics, in very limited runs, I will only make a handful in each fabric, and even then the linings will be varied. I like the idea of making an almost unique item that someone will see and want to buy; I therefore try and make them all affordable for the impulse buyer.  The banners stemmed from the sign I made for my stall. A friend saw it and commissioned one for her daughter!! 

What is your most value-for-money item and what is your most favourite?

My most affordable items are the knitted brooches/hair accessories/ bag charms that I make when I am unable to use my sewing machine. My knitting bag travels everywhere with me.  All my bags are great value for money, and at the moment I have two favourites, the black velvet with cow print interior, and a gorgeous Tattoo print one, they definitely have the wow factor!



 What are your top three tips for Christmas shopping/present giving?

Sometimes less is more, I never worry about how much or little I have spent on a person as long as I know that they will love what I have bought them.

Beautiful handmade soap is a fantastic gift for a hard-to-buy-for female relative, even if she never uses it the bathroom will smell lovely.

Chances are if you are buying from a craft fair, your items will have been made with a lot of love and thought, and will have been made in limited quantities, a much nicer gift than something mass produced in China!!!



What is most darling about the South West in Winter?

I love the strange eerie mists that we get down here, very ethereal and ghostly, we are lucky enough to live with a view of Glastonbury Tor from our house, to see it rise out of the mists on a cold winter's morning is magical.


For more info about Maia go to www.funkywombatdesigns.co.uk
07969319013 maiarees@sky.com



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?