Saturday, November 19, 2011

Meet the stallholders...Christmas Shopping with Megan and Mona

We love new traders..but we adore our regular traders too, like Kate Barlow from Wales who will be selling with us for her third time tomorrow. Please come down to the Guildhall to see her and her fabulous wares.









Hello Kate, for those who don't know, what do you make?

Tea cosies, pin cushions, brooches, cards, cushions and lots of other things.



What is your business/stall name?

My stall name is Megan and Mona, named after my grandmothers.



Where do you live?

I’m from North Wales originally but have lived in Cardiff  for over 10 years.

Have you ever sold at It’s darling! before? 

This will be my third time at It’s Darling! It’s a fabulous showcase for quality handmade items and I find it really hard not to spend all my profits at other peoples stalls!



Tell us about what you sell and the source of  your inspiration?

I use a mixture of new, vintage and up-cycled materials to create unique handmade items. I don’t make lots of the same thing, mainly because vintage materials come in limited amounts and also because I’m always impatient to move onto the next idea.

I love looking through old magazines from the 1940s and 50s, they’re full of crafty projects that can be adapted with a more modern twist.

What is your most affordable/value for money item and what is your most favourite?

My prices range from around £5 for corsages up to £45 for cushions, there’s something to suit all budgets. This year I’ve made some lovely little heart brooches from scraps of wool fabric that would make great stocking fillers, some gorgeous  crochet hook rolls complete with hooks, and lovely vintage inspired pin cushions.



What are your top three tips for Christmas shopping/present giving ?

Get yourself to It’s Darling! this weekend where you’re sure to find all your presents under one roof.

Reward yourself with a mince pie and a large glass of mulled cider.

Then while everyone else is panic buying on the 24th you can feel smug in the knowledge that you’ve beaten the Christmas rush,bought some fabulous gifts and supported handmade crafts!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?