Thursday, November 4, 2010

Meet the stallholders...tea and cake with Gabrielle Treanor from The Green Gables

Gabrielle

Gabrielle makes gifts, accessories, homewares and art with a vintage feel and, she says, “a lot of love.” She lives in a little village in Surrey so she'll be coming quite a way on Saturday 11th December only.

Nice to meet you Gabrielle. What kind of tea are we having today?

A friend recently suggested I try Assam tea and I'm a total convert. I love most cakes but my favourite is Victoria sandwich although I can't have it without the buttercream, that just makes it perfect! My ideal tea party is cake served on a vintage glass stand with a silver teapot, mismatching cups and saucers and my friends having a gossip and a giggle.


Gabrielle loves bunting 

Sounds perfect. Tell us a little more about what you do.

I launched The Green Gables in July of this year. I work part-time as the deputy editor at First News, the newspaper for children and work on The Green Gables the rest of my waking time. Although writing is a creative occupation, I wanted to do something more hands-on creative and explore my love of handmade and vintage.

Beautiful bead decoration by Gabrielle

Where do you get your ideas and inspiration from?

I love all things vintage – post-war up to the 1960s is my favourite period - and the look, feel and general culture of those times inspire me. Bunting plays a huge part in my designs as although it evokes images of British tea parties and village fetes, it can also dress up a space for any occasion and just bring a bit of prettiness to the world! I live in a rural area of the country that is hilly and beautiful and I feel this gorgeous natural environment also influences me.

Gabrielle's unique paper bunting

Do you have anything special on your stall for Christmas?

My products work well as gifts but I will be bringing a few special Christmas themed items including Christmas cards and decorations.

Love these graphic Christmas cards

Describe your ideal Christmas day…

It begins with a champagne cocktail for breakfast, then watching my nieces and nephews opening and playing with the presents. Lunch just appears so that no-one had to spend hours in the kitchen away from the family, I'd wear my bridal tiara instead of a cracker hat, take the dog for a walk on crunchy virgin snow through the fields and finish off in front of a roaring fire with stuffing sandwiches (I don't eat meat so no turkey for me). And pots of tea, mmm…

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without….

The movie It's a Wonderful Life. My husband and I have a tradition that we always watch it with a big bowl of popcorn and glasses of White Russians on the Sunday before Christmas. I love the movie so much I even make and sell an art print using the quote 'Every time a bell rings an angel gets its wings'!

Print inspired by Gabrielle's favourite Christmas film

What’s “It’s darling!” in your life?

It would have to be bunting! Fabric bunting, paper bunting, bunting on bags, on cushions, even as art, the list goes on! Bunting – it's darling!

Bunting is darling to Gabrielle




For more information about Gabrielle, her bunting and all, visit www.thegreengables.co.uk







No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?