Thursday, June 30, 2011

Meet the stallholders...coffee and cake with Megan and Mona


Kate Barlow aka Megan and Mona lives in Cardiff and first traded with us in Christmas 2010. We're so happy she's back again this Summer. 

HI Kate, tell everyone what do you make/sell and describe your inspiration.

A couple of years ago I taught myself to crochet using hooks I’d inherited from my grandmother. She also passed down a cupboard full of embroidery silks, buttons, lace and craft magazines going back 70 years, so that’s definitely where I get my hoarding habit from. I remember looking at it all when I was little and wishing it was mine. It’s a great source of inspiration especially the magazines from the 30s and 40s, full of interesting projects. I’ve always loved to sew and do embroidery and now I can crochet it’s opened up a whole new world! I sell lots of different things, cushions, tea cosies, corsages, pincushions, and bags …

Kate's glamorous grandparents


Tell us about where you live.

I’m based in Cardiff, where I came to study theatre design at college. That was over 10 years ago and I’ve been here ever since.

What is your favourite thing that you sell and why?

My favourite things at the moment are trios of little crotched flowers made up as brooches. They’re made from vintage rayon thread and decorated with antique buttons and beads. They can be worn individually or all together, pinned to hats and bags or used to brighten up your favourite cardi.

Brooches made from vintage rayon thread


What would you say is your most value-for-money item and how much is it?

I’d have to say all my items are value for money. I use a lot of vintage materials in my work, which usually come in limited amounts. This means the things I make are rarely exactly the same so you’re getting something unique that no one else will have, making it extra special. Prices range from £4 up to around £50 so there’s something to suit all pockets.

Crotcheted tea-cosy



Have you traded at “It’s darling!” before and if so when?

My first "It’s Darling!" Fair was last Christmas and I had a fabulous time. Everyone was so friendly and there were lots of customers and lots of sales. Other stallholders even bought a few items, which was really flattering. Unfortunately I couldn’t go to the spring fair so I’ve been looking forward to this one for a long time.

Remember Kate from last Christmas? Meet her again on the 16th July


What do you love most about Bath?

Bath is a beautiful place, I love the honey coloured stone the buildings are made from and also the Fashion Museum, a wonderful source of inspiration.

Why do you think customers should make “It’s darling!”  their must-visit vintage & handmade fair this Summer?

There’s a fantastic range of stalls on offer and your certain to take home what you were looking for, including a few things you weren’t! And you’re supporting handmade crafts at the same time.

Kate is proud of handmade 


What would you say is “darling” in your life?

My little collection of vintage handbags always makes me smile. They belonged to my grandmother and evoke images of glamorous dances in beautiful dresses. There’s even a cloakroom ticket in one of them for the Royal Lido Ballroom. Definitely a bygone era.

Kate's grandmother's vintage handbags

        
For more information about Megan and Mona please visit www.meganandmona.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?