Monday, November 1, 2010

Time to meet the Stallholders...tea and cake with Emily Siminska from “Dressed to the Nines”

The countdown is on to "It's darling!" Bath's Handmade and Vintage Christmas fair, 11th and 12th December. So it's time to start meeting the lovely stallholders over a virtual cuppa, to give you a chance to see what they do and give you ideas about what you are going to pick up at the fair.  Here's introducing the first for this festive season -  Emily from "Dressed to the Nines"..


Emily and her husband

My full name is Emily Rose Siminska Orme, although I just tend to use my maiden name Siminska to make it easier for people to remember, it’s a bit of a mouthful. I live in Corsham, just outside bath with my husband, dog and three cats.

What’s your favourite tea and cake?


I think you can’t beat a traditional Victoria sponge (although I recently discovered red velvet cupcakes and they are delicious too!) Always made with butter not marg, I think it gives the best taste. I love to have a fresh pot of Earl Grey with my cake. I recently discovered the most amazing tea company down the road from me called the Wiltshire Tea Company and their Wiltshire Special Blend loose leaf tea is superb, as is the vanilla tea.


Tell us a little bit about about what you do …


It’s called “Dressed to the Nines.” Three years ago I started off selling clothing and dresses I bought in from wholesalers, but nowadays I mainly focus on my handmade jewellery and hair accessories. Handmade is the way to go! I like to use sterling silver, gold-filled and semi-precious materials. My style is mainly vintage and rockabilly inspired, most of my jewellery has classic or simple lines to it, I feel it makes it very wearable. I will be at “its darling!” on Sunday 12th December along with my friend Ella, who will also be selling some of her pretty fabric creations.

One of Emily's bracelets

When and why did you start your "Dressed to the Nines"?…


I have always been into art and crafty things and started “Dressed to the Nines” in 2007 as a part time business. I am lucky enough to have an amazingly supportive husband who encouraged me to take the next step and now it’s my full time occupation.

Poppy clip 

Where do you get your ideas/inspiration from?

I am influenced by so many different things that my style is quite eclectic. I love anything pre 1950 and have an obsession with the Victorians, as well as art, the 1940's, antiques, rock and roll, tattoos, wildlife, food, just about everything!

Why did you want to be part of “It’s darling!”? How did you hear about it?

I stumbled across “Its darling!” after searching on Google for something completely different. I instantly thought it looked like a fabulous event and one that I would love to be involved in.

Creme de Menthe earrings

Do you have any surprises planned for us?

I am having some friends help me and we have decided to use it as an excuse to dress up. Christmas is all about indulgence so I think I will be decorating the table with velvet, faux fur and sparkly things. I’m actually doing a sponsored horse trek across Bulgaria for the British horse society next year so I’m working on making some Christmas themed items to sell and raise funds towards that.

Describe your ideal Christmas day...

The perfect Christmas for me is sat snuggled up on the sofa with my husband and pets watching cheesy Christmas films. Slippers, duvet and chocolates are a must.

Merlin, one of Emily's three cats

Christmas wouldn’t be Christmas without….

Sloe gin in front of my open fire listening to Bing and Sinatra.

Click here to find out more about Emily and Dressed to the Nines or email info@dressedtotheninesclothing.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?