Sunday, June 27, 2010

Meet the stallholders: 60 seconds with.....Christine from Ginger and Pep

Christine Leech is a magazine art director by day,  and “Ginger and Pep” the rest of the time. She makes charm bracelets, cushions, other fabric goodies, “and’, she says, “anything that takes my fancy really. ” Based in London, she doesn’t have a website or blog yet, so come to The Guildhall on the 17th to have a look at her fabulous handmade wares. Time to get to know her...

Pretty arty

 1. So Christine, how long have you been doing what you do?

Well I started early,  I won my first craft certificate (for Best Hemmed Hankerchief) at the Village Flower and Produce Show when I was six, then when I was 13 I started selling felt animals and Fimo clowns with my sister at the school craft fair, and now I can't seem to stop.


2. Why did you start?

a)  When I was young I was always seeing things I wanted in shops, mum would comment on how easy it would be to make, so we often went home and did just that
b) Inspired by my mother and grandmothers to turn the odd bits of fabric, lonely buttons and stray sequins I was always collecting into something gorgeous
c) There was nothing to watch on telly

3. What's your inspiration?

I'm like a magpie when it comes to anything that looks like it could become something else, I bring it home, store it away and wait for inspiration to strike. And if it sparkles so much the better.
Christine has been making felt animals since she was 13

4. Why did you want to be part of "It's darling!"

To support my friend Mrs Stokes on her new inspiring business venture and to come back to Bath where I went to college. Also to make some space in my bedroom by selling some the things I can't seem to stop making.

Buy yourself one of Christine's unique charm bracelets at It's darling!
 

5. What's your ultimate three second wisdom - life or crafting advice!

"Curtsy while you're thinking what to say, it saves time"  (from Alice in Wonderland)

6. What three things would you want to be stranded on a desert island with?

A solar powered ipad with an unlimited audio book library, I think the dulcet tones of Stephen Fry reading Robinson Crusoe would inspire me. Liberty (the shop), whenever I need 10 minutes time-out a little wander through this shop recharges my batteries, and just think of the amazing tent you could make from their haberdashery and fabric floor.   Eversuchalotof cheese (and if there was a pineapple tree on the island I'd be in heaven)
 Cute as custard Ginger and Pep cushions

7. What in your life would you say is "It's Darling!" and can we have a picture of that?


My house. I'd send you a pic but the burglars might track it down.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?