Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Meet the stallholders...tea and cake with Katie Bonas, the queen of furniture refurbishing

Fancy picking up some refurb furniture? Kate Evans has started a new business selling just that under the name Kate Bonas - as she will be known once she is married next April. She  lives in the middle of the Cotswolds in Gloucestershire and will be with us on Saturday 11th.
Bring a truck!



Hi Kate tell us about your furniture...

It's handpainted and distressed, vintage and antique furniture as well as other lovely bits and bobs for the home. I left my job in the City in the summer to move to the Cotswolds where my husband-to-be was already living, and wanted to start my own business so that my time was my own. It has been a fantastic opportunity to combine two of my passions - all things antique, and being creative - and I now spend all week (well almost!) in my brilliant workshop in the village, or out and about sourcing furniture. A lot of vintage and antique 'brown furniture' is out of fashion at the moment, but much of it is beautifully crafted and treasures like this deserve a place in our home!



Where do you get your ideas/inspiration from? 

Each piece of furniture is truly unique and I let that provide the inspiration for how the finished product looks. Sometimes I start with one idea in mind, but it evolves as I get to know every corner of the piece! The older the better! The history of every piece of furniture and its journey to my workshop is different. It's this mystery which keeps me interested and wondering just what I might find next.



Why did you want to be part of “It’s darling!”? 

When I heard there was to be another "It's Darling!" fair at Christmas, it seemed like the obvious place to exhibit - all of my items are vintage and handpainted - and I know it will be packed with like-minded people who appreciate beautiful things, whether its shabby chic or a more traditional style.

Describe your ideal Christmas day... 

A very traditional family Christmas - stockings, turkey, crackers, hats, carols and a good argument over the rules of the latest board game Father Christmas delivered!


What’s your favourite cake? And kind of tea? 

Chocolate cake please! And a big cup of English Breakfast tea. I'm getting married in five months time though, so chocolate cake recipes and cafes are off the cards. Well, maybe just a very small piece....



What’s “It’s darling!” in your life? 

Do my two black labradors, Islay and Lussa, count? I had to mention them somewhere!


To find out more about Katie go to www.katiebonas.com or email enquiries@katiebonas.com.

1 comment:

  1. Lovely furniture! Look forward to meeting you at the fair, Katie.

    ReplyDelete

Where Can We Go?