Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Meet the stallholders....a quick cuppa with Abby from Bubs Bears

Welcome to the "It's darling!" Fair, tell us a bit about yourself and what you do.


Hello, I’m Abby and I live in the heart of the Somerset Levels near the ancient town of Langport. 

Abby

My business is called Bubs Bears and I make handmade teddy bears and bunnies from a range of vintage, recycled, and new fabrics. It started off though back in 2005 when I wanted to make my youngest daughter a 1st birthday present which she could treasure. She’d had a lot of beautiful clothes as a baby, and I came up with the idea of using them to create a patchwork bear. The idea for Bubs Bears was born, but it was only last year that I started selling them online. Since then I have made nearly 250 bears, including many keepsake bears made from customers precious baby clothes, christening outfits and even wedding dresses. 

A Bubs Bear


As well as bears and bunnies, on my stall you will find handmade bags, lavender hearts, cards, buttons, tea-towels, hot water bottle covers…many of which have been made to use up scraps of leftover fabrics…I do hate to waste any! 

Beautiful buttons

Busy lady! Where do you get your ideas/inspiration from?

When it comes to making the keepsake bears, the inspiration of course comes from the clothing itself, and I try to incorporate as many of the little decorations and details as I can. The other bears and bunnies I make are all made from the same pattern, but I love to source different fabrics to see how well they work (or not sometimes!) Knitted jumpers and woolen tweeds make gorgeous bears, as do floaty floral cottons and linens. I love to use vintage fabrics, many of which I get from the lovely Donna Flower. I’ve worked with some beautiful fabrics from the 40s and 50s, including the pretty feedsack fabrics, so I’d have to say they are probably my favourite.

What I love most about Spring is...

…the light. I am lucky enough to have a huge bay window in my sewing room and the light pouring in never fails to inspire me to create.

Abby is a sewing addict

 Why did you want to be part of “It’s darling!”?

I first came across “It’s Darling!” via Facebook, but was unable to make it to the fairs last year. I looked in envy at the photographs and knew I just had to be a part of it this time!!


Perfect Presents

Are you doing anything special with your stall? 

All the bunnies, and some of the bears on my stall will be helping to raise money for charity (St.Margarets Somerset Hospice and The British Heart Foundation) with a percentage of their price going to charity. The fabrics they are made with were kindly donated by Donna Flower and Raystitch.

Buy a bunny for charity

What I need to buy most in Spring is...

…lavender plants so I can harvest it for my lavender hearts. I intend to have a border of it which will run along the whole front of my house. It will be lovely to sit with my sewing room window open and smell the lavender wafting in!

What’s darling in your life?

They are called Erin and Libby, my best ever creations… 

Abby's darlings

For further info go to www.bubsbears.com www.folksy.com/shops/BubsBears or email



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?