Thursday, June 10, 2010

Meet the stallholders: 60 seconds with.....Hannah from Iris Accessories!

Hannah Daw has been working under the name of “Iris Accessories” for the past year and she makes silver bracelets with buttons, brooches and belts. She was one of Mrs Stokes’ first ever customers and lives in South London.
South London's finest, Hannah


1. Hi Hannah, tell us why you started Iris Accessories...
I am a graphic designer by day and I have always loved accessories, especially graphic pieces that are bold and that make you look really individual. I did a short course at London’s Central St Martins in using plastics, and then became really interested in the dynamic between plastic and more expensive materials (like silver). I like the idea you can create something stylish and precious but that can still make a statement and look very modern.

Hannah is offering 10% off her bracelets and brooches at "It's darling!"

2. What inspires you?
Bold colour and contrasting materials and making accessories that are modern but have longevity, something that you hold onto. With my accessories I like to use a "flash" of colour, for example using cream and black buttons with a bright coloured button that pops out. I like to use buttons that are sculptural and like mini objects in their own right. My brooches are inspired by the shape of hat-pins and the mechanism of the brooch itself is intended to be on show and part of the design. Silver and plastic is a great combination, enabling me to use bright colours and produce stylish designs that look good enough to dress up an outfit making a statement. I use mostly vintage materials, making the brooches and bracelets myself. My belts are very graphic and intended to be used as a centrepiece in an outfit. They are made by a women's charity in Brick Lane in East London for refugees.

Hannah's belts are made by a women's charity

3. Why did you want to be part of "It's darling!"
I think it is always exciting to be part of something new, especially when there is a shared creative vision.

4. Any personal details you care to share? Partner, kids, hobbies, guilty pleasures?
I am married to a New Zealander who always makes me embark on crazy expeditions, for example we have kayaked a marathon and have gone ice climbing together. My guilty pleasure is karaoke and I can be found singing at Lucky Voice most Wednesday nights!

"Look outside the normal realm for inspiration, for example if you're making jewellery don't look to other designs for ideas - look at buildings or shapes in nature"
We never thought of that! Good advice Hannah

5. Will you have any special offers at "It's darling!"?
There will be 10% off my bracelets and brooches.

Another of Hannah's incredible button bracelets

6. What's your piece of "three second wisdom" - life or crafting advice!
Look outside the normal realm for inspiration, for example if you're making jewellery don't look to other designs for ideas - look at buildings or shapes in nature

7. What three things would you want to be stranded on a desert island with?
All my Graham Greene novels, my iphone and my husband


A beautiful brooch

8. What in your life would you say is "It's darling!"

My flower boxes when they bloom in the summer!

To contact Hannah, or find out more go to www.irisdesigns.org or email her on info@irisdesigns.org. And of course she will be in the Guildhall on the 17th July!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?