Friday, November 4, 2011

Meet the stallholders...Christmas Shopping with Lazy Crafternoons

As regular readers will know, we have been running quirky Q & A profiles on stallholders ever since we started in July 2010 - it was our clever Becky Darling's idea. We've noticed it's been copied by other handmade events blogs this year...but hey, imitation is the sincerest form of flattery! And it really brings the traders alive, so we can't blame 'em for trying. So, to start this season's round-ups we'll first introduce Chris Webb from Lazy Crafternoons, his Bristol-based craft workshop company that will be running bath bomb workshops on the 19th & 20th November at Bath's Guildhall.

Chris aka Lazy Crafternoons

Hi Chris, tell us about what you'll be doing at It's darling!

I’ll be selling my range of Christmas decorations and household items, as well as promoting and delivering my creative workshops.

Have you ever sold at It’s darling! before? 

This is my first ‘It’s Darling!’ Fair ever! I’ve never been as a seller or a shopper, so I’m excited to see it firsthand.

Tell us about what you sell and why/where do you get your inspiration?

I grew up in an very ‘Do It Yourself’ family where we learned to make our own things and be creative… over the past few years I’ve taken my ‘make and do’ attitude and have offered creative courses and workshops which try to make it easy for people to make their own products and introduce people to the incredible joy and pride that comes from making things from scratch.  Everything I make and sell, I also teach – from handmade bath and body products to home accessories and patchwork quilts!



What is your most affordable/value for money item and what is your most impressive/favourite/wow one?

My laser cut Christmas decorations are only £3 but one of my proudest items are my Reindeer Jingle Bell Decorations which placed in the Sewing Directory’s Christmas Competition this year!


What are your top three tips for Christmas shopping/present giving.

1.     If you are making homemade gifts – take it easy and don’t take on too much. Be reasonable in what you hope to achieve, as it should feel like fun and not a Christmas sweatshop!
2.     The generosity and value in homemade gifts comes from the time and effort that goes into making them. Have confidence in what you do and remember that if you wanted something mass produced you could go out and buy it – don’t be a perfectionist and be proud of what you make!
3.     You can’t make for everyone on your list – so shop for those who you can, and make for those who’ll truly appreciate the effort you put in.




What is most darling about the South West in Winter?

I’m re-discovering in the south west after years of being away in London and The North… just about everything is darling to me. I’m really looking forward to seeing what’s going on, and using all the fairs and shows as an opportunity to get to know the creative community.


To book a bath bomb workshop at the fair go to http://lazycrafternoons.eventbrite.com/
For more information about Chris and Lazy Crafternoons, click here.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Where Can We Go?